South Bank Adventures.

South Bank is a little piece of heaven in the city. It's about 15 min bus ride from campus. I fell in love with it as soon as we arrived. It is no doubt a tourist spot, but a lovely tourist spot nonetheless. They have a lot of vendors with beautiful clothes, jewelery, crafts and many other things. Helen and I spent two days in South Bank... did I mention that there is a white sandy (man made) beach there... well, it's amazing. It's winter here... keep that in mind.


This in an Ibis. We were sitting down enjoying our XXXXGold when the couple behind us got up and left without finishing their dinner. So this guy comes along, jumps on the table and starts having a snack. Its first choice... a piece of steak covered in a lot of steak sauce. He obviously chose a piece that was too big for him, he starts to shake his head in a somewhat violent manner in order to get this piece into his mouth (beak), well that's when the sauce started flying... and when I decided to take cover on Helen's side of the table. Way too funny. D'em birds...as Maddy would say.

This is when you first arrive into South Bank. That's me in the "crotch" of the tree.

This is the beautiful walkway that winds through South Bank, in other spots they are covered in beautiful flowers.
A view across to the city, where apparently there is some good shopping. That adventure will no doubt happen soon.

The man made beach in the middle of South Bank. The water is a little cold, but nothing a Canadian can't handle. It's just like our lake water.

Second day in South Bank.

It's winter time... no big deal. The funny thing about South Bank, you'll find people who are laying around in their bathing suits and people bundled up (cause it's winter). It's amazing to see the variety of people and what they think is cold. It was actually hot out, like mid 20's maybe.

This the vendor and restaurant area of South Bank.

Busker. Juggled a baby, a torch and a knife on top of that high unicycle.

French Festival. Too busy to really do anything.

This fancy gentleman knew we were Canadian instantly. I have yet to be confused for an American yet... I'm sure it will come, but I hope not.

Peace Pagota. Inside there was some stuff displayed from a world expo.

A little jungle type section of South Bank. Wooden platforms wind all around, it's really beautiful.

Shortly after the last picture was taken, this little guy (possum) fell from the tree tops, which was very high might I add. Helen and I were taking pictures and looking around when we heard a loud *THUD* and we look over and see this guy laying there, not really moving. I didn't know what to do and then he slowly began moving again. It was like a giant belly flop on to the wooden platform. Poor guy.

A Didgeridoo player, I believe he was from Sumatra, very friendly and invited Helen over to put on some awesomely oversized star glasses, which makes from an awesome profile pic... No, thank you! It was cwazy.

I absolutely love it here. I can't wait for school to start, campus is kind of dead right now, but it no doubt will start hustle and bustle soon. I've also spent the first few days here getting necessities and groceries, which means a lot of spent money.

The wheels on the trolleys (shopping carts) move in all directions, where ours at home there are a set that only move in one direction and the others pivot, not these ones, they move all willy nilly. It takes a special set of trolley driving skills to get it to move the way you want it to. Also I noticed while I was grocery shopping was the cheddar cheese here isn't dyed with the horrible bright orange colour, it's the normal white colour here, which is nice without the extra not good for you stuff. Two more pictures.

Hey Coopers... I found your beer, it's home brew. If I can bring it back with me I'm bringing it back for you!

I just thought this was funny. Sorry ladies, you can't use this type of Kleenex.

Ok, I'm out for today. Oh, and I need to learn to look the right way when crossing the street. The opposite side driving takes some getting used to. See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh this is so awesome! Loving the pics and reading about your adventures so far! Keep 'em coming! Miss you too! xo

    ReplyDelete